• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

State Of Emergency is declared ahead of brutal Hurricane Irene

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Meh... I'd give them mythical names.... like Jesus.

Ulysses31

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
And so it begins

A damaged ferry boat ground by the hurricane in Providence, Rhode Island

The Strandway in South Boston is struck by 100mph winds

The Bureau of Commercial Fisheries building on the south side of Main Street in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, is hit by crashing waves

New England after the hurricane hit

The remains of a commercial building after it was hit by high winds in Providence

Remains of Pawtuxet village in Rhode Island

Collapsed: The remains of Park Street Bridge, Providence

Toppled over: Boats in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-Great-New-England-storm.html#ixzz1WBIkIb2j

Bloodshot Scott

Does anyone know which is the worst storm to ever hit the Northern East Coast? I'm surprised to hear this is going to have such a significant impact on NY, like flooding in the Subways and other parts of Downtown.
Meh... I'd give them mythical names.... like Jesus.

You need Jesus in your life.

ragincaucasian

I don't think the G-spot exists!
And so it begins
t's becoming hard to take any storm seriously from the over-reaction the Weather Service gives them. Every year, they predict an "unusually high number of storms", then proceed to name any storm that so much as has a smallish gust so they can achieve something close to the number of storms they predicted. Then when there really is a storm worth noting, they go completely overboard and predict that it practically will wipe out an entire state or something.

It's "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome on steroids. My big problem with it is that they do it year after year and more and more people are going to stop listening to them so when a big storm really does hit, most people really will get caught by it because the reporters are no longer credible.

Now, before I get my butt kicked verbally I actually heard that on CNN this afternoon. Maybe I'm cynical but I think this hurricane is being blown (pun intended) out of proportion. As of 6:30pm CST Irene is a weak Category 2 storm with signs of further weakening.

Just days ago forecasters were predicting a catastrophic category 4 storm ripping up the east coast... Not quite.

Unless we see man-made shipping channel's exacerbating the storm surge's impact (ala MR.GO), I don't see how this threatens NYC like ALL the news reports are claiming (there is too much of a buffer zone)

FORECAST FOR IRENE

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1903

With its eyewall collapsed and just 18 more hours over water before landfall, Irene does not have time to build a new eyewall and intensify. The storm is too large to weaken quickly, and the best forecast is that Irene will be a strong Category 1 hurricane at landfall in North Carolina on Saturday. Based on the latest wind analysis from NOAA's Hurricane Research Division (Figure 2) and Irene's continued weakening trend, I predict that the 80-mile section of North Carolina coast to the right of where Irene makes landfall will receive sustained hurricane-force winds of 75 - 85 mph on Saturday at landfall; the 80-mile section of coast to the left will receive 55 - 75 mph winds. High wind shear of 30 knots will begin ripping into Irene Sunday morning when it is near Southern New Jersey, and more rapid weakening will occur. By the time Irene arrives on Long Island Sunday afternoon, it will probably have top sustained winds in the 65 - 75 mph range. However, since Irene is such a huge storm--tropical storm force winds extend out up to 290 miles from the center--it has set a massive amount of the ocean's surface in motion, which will cause a much larger storm surge than the winds would suggest. At 3:30 pm EDT this afternoon, a wind analysis from NOAA/HRD (Figure 2) indicated that the potential storm surge damage from Irene still rated a 5.0 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is equivalent to the storm surge a typical Category 4 hurricane would have. While this damage potential should steadily decline as Irene moves northwards and weakens, we can still expect a storm surge one full Saffir-Simpson Category higher than Irene's winds when it impacts the coast. Since tides are at their highest levels of the month this weekend due to the new moon, storm surge flooding will be at a maximum during the high tidal cycles that will occur at 8 pm Saturday night and 8 am Sunday morning. Wherever Irene happens to be at those times, the storm surge damage potential will be maximized. I continue to give a 20% chance that a 3 - 4 foot storm surge high enough to over-top the Manhattan flood walls and swamp the New York City subway system will occur on Sunday. The latest 11 am probabilistic storm surge map from NHC shows a 20 - 30% chance of a storm surge in excess of 3 feet in New York Harbor (Figure 4.) Keep in mind that these maps are calculated for normal tide level, and this weekend's high tides will be nearly 1 foot above normal.

lurkingdirk

I wonder if the political right is secretly hoping that Irene takes the whole state of New York into the ocean? It seems their best hope for 2012.

ragincaucasian

I don't think the G-spot exists!
For the GOP to have any shot in 2012, the Republicans should throw themselves into the storm surge and cry "Save us Obama!".....then when they drown it will really make Obama look bad

abrogate

I support thongs.
I wonder if the political right is secretly hoping that Irene takes the whole state of New York into the ocean? It seems their best hope for 2012.

Hey, if they take the NY Yankees with the storm it may just be a good thing.

:jk:

L3ggy

Or maybe Loki.

Ulysses31

At least five dead as Irene smashes into East Coast and 370,000 New Yorkers are ordered to flee as terrified city fears the worst

* Three deaths reported in North Carolina and two in Virginia, including an 11-year-old child
* Entire public transport system as well as five main New York City airports on lockdown
* Downgraded to category 1 storm as hurricane made landfall near Cape Lookout
* Experts say biggest danger are storm surges of up to 11ft that could hit New York City
* President declares federal emergency for New York state and warns U.S. is experiencing 'historic hurricane'
* Mayor Bloomberg tells people in evacuation zones to 'get out now' before public transportation shut down at noon

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pares-airports-subway-shut.html#ixzz1WGczVYqg

Shortly after the Category 1 storm made landfall near Cape Lookout, North Carolina, forecasters said Irene's winds had dropped to 85mph

Satellite: This NOAA image taken today at 7:45 AM EDT shows category 1 Hurricane Irene has made landfall over eastern North Carolina

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Raining like a fuck here in north NJ already.
Say a prayer for me...:facepalm:

L3ggy

Don't want to.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

L3ggy

What do you mean with 'think'? There's a lot of proof, especially here on FreeOnes.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
What do you mean with 'think'? There's a lot of proof, especially here on FreeOnes.

:facepalm:
Talk to someone, lil dude...

L3ggy

I am talking to you, old man.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
I am talking to you, old man.

Stop dreailing threads w/ your "I'm a cute lil wolfie" bullshit....
Nobody thinks your cool or cares for that matter...:facepalm: